Big Book of Magical Incense by Sara Mastros
“A masterwork of botanical lore. --Amy Blackthorn, author of Blackthorn’s Botanical Magic
The Big Book of Magical Incense is an invaluable hands-on guide to the vast world of magical incense. It provides tried-and-true recipes, advice on how to create your own formulas, and instructions on how to use incense in all sorts of magical practice.
While the book requires no prerequisite knowledge, it is also appropriate for experienced magicians and learned pagans. The chapters are scaffolded, teaching about basic ingredients and skills, both practical and magical, in early chapters, and gently leading the reader to develop their own recipes, spells, and ritual practices as they move through the book.
Presented in a paradigm-agnostic way, the book should appeal to people on numerous paths.
- Ceremonial magicians and sorcerers will appreciate the planetary incense recipes and translations from the Greek magical papyri and other classical magic texts.
- Folk magicians will appreciate the many magical incense formulas, such as Go Away! and Money Magnet.
- Animists will love the focus on ingredients native to the United States, and the instructions for working with the dead and the spirits of the land.
- Devotional pagans will find recipes for a variety of gods, particularly those of the Eastern Mediterranean traditions, some of whose chapters include original translations of the Orphic hymns and other devotional poetry.
- Chaos magicians will be excited about the flexibility to mix and match practices and recipes throughout the book.